Telemedicine Services at Associates in Podiatry
Safe, Secure Appointments Over Video
We know it can be challenging at times to come in for appointments – and that’s under “normal” circumstances. The current COVID-19 pandemic is impacting all of our lives in ways that can make having a standard appointment even more of a challenge.
At the same time, it is important that everyone finds the relief and treatment they need.
Fortunately, we have a way for you to stay on top of managing your foot and ankle care when an in-office appointment is impossible or inadvisable:
Regardless if illness, stay-at-home orders, a lack of transportation, scheduling conflicts, or any other reason makes an in-office visit difficult, a telemedicine appointment can still bring you expert insight and analysis from one of our foot and ankle specialists.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine is when a doctor uses videoconferencing technology to conduct an appointment remotely: they are in the office and you are in the safety of your own home. Dr. Stevens can perform a (virtual) visual inspection of your foot or ankle, communicate directly with you, and answer your questions.
At Associates in Podiatry we use Doxy.me as our telemedicine client. We enjoy its simplicity!
Here is how it works:
- You contact us to schedule a telemedicine appointment.
- Our front desk determines a time with you, and answers any questions you may have.
- You are sent a link to our “virtual waiting room.” You click on this link (using the device you want to conduct the call on) when it is time for your appointment.
- Enter your name on the screen that comes up, click “Check In,” and the doctor will see you have arrived. When he is ready, the appointment will begin!
That’s all there is to it! You don’t need to download any apps, since the call is held securely within your web browser (please see “What do you need for your appointment?” for which browsers are supported).
Is telemedicine right for you?
Appointment types that work very well for a virtual consult include:
- Initial inspections. Our doctor can visually inspect your foot or ankle over video to provide a diagnosis and/or recommendations on your next steps.
- Check-up appointments. Your doctor can examine how an injury is healing, or discuss how a current form of treatment is progressing.
- Questions and advice. Have questions about your health care and want answers from a real medical professional? Telemedicine is by far the easiest way to get them.
Our telemedicine appointments are ideal for stay-at-home workers, parents taking care of their children, and individuals who don’t have transportation to get to our office. However, anyone is free to request a telemedicine appointment.
What do you need for your appointment?
Before scheduling your telemedicine appointment, please ensure that you have or will have:
- A device capable of making and receiving video calls, such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer with a webcam and microphone.
- A stable, reliable connection to the internet.
- One of the web browsers supported by Doxy.me: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. Most devices will already possess one of these browsers. If not, they can be downloaded for free.
- A private, quiet, and well-lit location to take the call.
Having a trusted family member or friend present with you can also be extremely helpful. They can provide assistance (such as by holding and moving the camera) and help you take notes as needed.
Is telemedicine covered by insurance?
While telemedicine services have been increasingly covered by insurance companies, the answer depends on your specific provider and plan. Please contact your provider for the latest information on how telemedicine applies to your current plan.
How can you request your telemedicine appointment?
If you’re ready to request your telemedicine appointment with us, please complete the form on this page.
A member of our office will follow up with you during our regular office hours to schedule your appointment, make sure you have everything you need, and answer any questions you may have.
We look forward to serving you—wherever you happen to be!